What to do with tea and coffee?
Are you a coffee drinker? Maybe you love tea instead like me (I’m a big green tea fan)? Whatever side of the debate you stand on, did you know that you can use tea and coffee in cooking?
Nope, I don’t mean you get to drink it while you cook! They’re actually ingredients you can add to many recipes. And today I’ll show you a few ideas to get you started.
(Find recipes for the ideas below).
What to do with coffee
Besides having a cup of coffee with your breakfast you can turn breakfast into a coffee fest without having to have it warm. Try these great ideas:
- Coffee flavoured pancakes – Add instant coffee to the mix, or add an espresso in place of some of the milk.
- Overnight oats – Add brewed coffee and milk instead of plain water or straight milk.
- Coffee flavoured cream – Mix instant coffee into thickened cream then whip it and use it on pancakes, waffles or French toast. (P.S. Thickened cream is also called heavy cream or double cream).
Coffee works incredibly well in baking and gives you some amazing cakes, desserts and treats. Try these ideas:
- Tiramisu – it’s a coffee flavoured dessert from Italy and super easy to make.
- Coffee cake – its cake that tastes like coffee.
- Cappuccino cake – another take on coffee cake, with coffee flavoured icing over the cake.
- Coffee flavoured brownies – who doesn’t love brownies? Why not make them coffee flavoured?
What to do with tea
It’s lovely to have a cup of tea with an afternoon snack. But tea also works really well when its inside the snack as well. Try these ideas:
- Iced tea – a great summer alternative to hot tea on a 40 degree day.
- Muffins – try these chai latte muffins.
- Friands – Soak raisins in tea and let them infuse with earl grey.
- Cakes with tea in them – like this tea and honey cake – so yum!
- Ice cream – try Jamie Olivers’ earl grey ice cream.
The next time you want to make a cake or dessert and you don’t have any chocolate or fruit on hand, you’ll now be able to make a treat using the tea and coffee you have on hand.