Back in July of 2013 I wrote a post on 5 homemade pizza topping ideas. Today, I’m going to give you even better bang for your buck, and I’m going to give you 25 pizza topping ideas – you’ll never not know what to put on a pizza again!
Whenever I go out to a restaurant I always take a look at the menu and write down an items that take my fancy. I do this so that I can then replicate the recipe/meal at home. And pizza topping is no different for me. I love to check out what restaurants offer so that I can mix things up a bit at home. I used to be the typical ham and pineapple as a kid, but now I’m into exploring much more wide ranging options – and hopefully today’s list will give you just that.
25 Pizza Topping Ideas
- Tomato, mozzarella, sun-dried tomato, Persian fetta, caramelised onion and basil.
- Tomato, mozzarella, artichoke, prosciutto, oregano and rocket.
- Tomato, mozzarella, roasted pumpkin, peppers, red onion, pine nut and ricotta.
- Tomato, mozzarella, smoked salmon, rocket, capers, red onion and dill aioli.
- Tomato, mozzarella, grilled eggplant, parmesan, fresh basil.
- Mozzarella, zucchini, pan fried capsicum and eggplant.
- Mozzarella, prosciutto, sun-dried tomato and balsamic vinegar.
- Tomato, mozzarella, mussels, Queensland prawns, clams, scallops and rocket.
- Tomato, mozzarella, chicken breast, artichokes, peppers, pesto, provolone.
- Tomato, mozzarella, tiger prawns marinated in garlic, parsley and cracked pepper, chilli.
- Tomato, mozzarella, hot salami, charred peppers, black olives, goats cheese.
- Tomato, mozzarella, anchovies, capers, black olives, oregano.
- Fresh ricotta, sautéed onions, zucchini, parmesan, mint.
- Baby spinach, camembert, red onion, mushroom, capsicum, fresh tomato, olives, oregano on crème fraiche topped with tomato capsicum sauce.
- Slow cooked pulled beef, rasher bacon, pepperoni, red onion on a BBQ sauce base.
- Ground beef, rasher bacon, pepperoni, capsicum, red onion, baby spinach, smoked leg ham, olives, mozzarella, oregano topped with tomato capsicum sauce.
- Seasoned chicken, baby spinach, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, olives and oregano with garlic sauce.
- Ground beef, red onion, jalapenos & mozzarella topped with buffalo hot sauce and chilli flakes.
- Baby spinach, fresh tomato, red onion & mozzarella topped with chilli flakes.
- Tomato, mozzarella, roasted pumpkin, chorizo, chilli, spring onions and fresh rocket.
- Tomato, mozzarella, spinach, bacon, cherry tomatoes, egg.
- Tomato, mozzarella, tandoori marinated chicken, raisins, slivered almonds, natural yoghurt.
- Minced lamb (pre-cooked with cumin, coriander, garlic and onion), chickpeas, cilantro and natural yoghurt.
- Tomato, mozzarella, meatballs, pecorino, and fresh basil.
- Tomato, mozzarella, grilled zucchini slices, pecorino and chilli flakes.
Pizza Topping Hints
Here’s some extra tips to get the best pizzas:
- Prosciutto, panchetta, parma ham, and ham are all varieties of pork. You can change any of the varieties above for the one you have at home, or for a cheaper type if you want to keep it to a budget friendly meal.
- Rocket, spinach and fresh herbs can be added fresh to the pizza AFTER it has been cooked in the oven.
- Alternatively, if you want to put rocket, spinach or fresh basil on a pizza put them at the bottom of the toppings so that they don’t burn while cooking.
- Some pizza places put the mozzarella on the top of the pizza while others put it on the bottom. Choose the style you prefer. I like to put it on top so that it keeps my ingredients locked in and on top of the pizza when I pick up the slice, but I know this isn’t professional.
- You don’t have to use mozzarella cheese if you don’t want to or you want to keep the budget tighter. Use tasty, cheddar, elemental or anything else you like to eat – it just wont have that stretch factor that mozzarella does.
Now that I’ve been thinking about pizza, its definitely time to grab some for dinner!
Who wants to join me?